From the Superintendent
Welcome to the East Central Ohio Educational Service Center (ECOESC) website. This website was created to offer an easy-to-use tool for area educators to access workshop opportunities, collaborative educational projects, special events, and ECOESC news. We now service school districts in Tuscarawas, Carroll, Guernsey, Harrison, and Belmont Counties in Ohio, so if you teach in or near these counties, you are eligible to take advantage of our services.
Please plan to visit this website on a regular basis to learn more about educational events in this county. You can also click on various links for additional information and /or to email ECOESC staff.
As superintendent, I want to stress that your ECOESC is here to serve you, the educators of Tuscarawas, Carroll, Guernsey, Harrison, and Belmont counties. That is our mission and we take it seriously.
We hope that you take advantage of our website and look forward to any input you might have to help us make it better. To get in touch with us, contact our Webmaster. Thank you.
Best Wishes in Education,
Randy Lucas, Superintendent
East Central Ohio ESC
The East Central Ohio Educational Service Center strives to provide shared educational services to strengthen and assist school districts and agencies.
The East Central Ohio Educational Service Center is committed to helping schools help students.
Our service region consists of Tuscarawas (567.58 sq mi), Carroll (394.67 sq mi), Harrison (403.53 sq mi), Belmont (537.35 sq mi) and Guernsey (528 sq mi) Counties. This is over 2,400 square miles, making the ECOESC service regions one of the largest in the state. We are comprised of 9 local school districts, 2 exempted village school districts, 6 city school districts, 2 vocational career centers, and 2 Board of DDs serving 28,085 students and 2,054 teachers across our service area.
Ohio’s Educational Service Centers (ESCs) are dedicated to providing school districts with professional development, technology, support, planning, and administrative services that help improve student learning, enhance the quality of instruction, expand equitable access to resources and maximize operating and fiscal efficiencies.
- Educational Service Centers (ESCs) are local political subdivisions.
- ESCs are school districts under state law – 3311.055 Ohio Revised Code.
- ESCs are local education agencies or LEAs under federal law – 20 USCS §7801(17) (ESEA, IDEA, HEA, Perkins).
- ESCs are governed by publicly-elected boards of education.
What is our relationship to Ohio Schools?
- ESCs are large-scale service providers offering administrative, academic, fiscal and operational support services to Ohio’s school districts, chartered nonpublic schools, community schools, and STEM schools.
- Every district with an enrollment of 16,000 students (ADM) or fewer are required to be aligned to an ESC.
- Districts are able to realign to a different ESC (anywhere in the state) every 2 years, consistent with the state budget process if they are not satisfied with the services they are receiving.
- Districts with an enrollment of over 16,000 students may align to an ESC.
- Districts may purchase services from any ESC at any time – even ESCs to which they are not aligned.
- ESCs are consortia by definition and don’t exist if not for their client school districts. Under section 3311.0510. (A) of the Ohio Revised Code, if all of the client school districts of an ESC terminate their agreements the governing board is abolished and the ESC is dissolved by order of the superintendent of public instruction.