Who is a Migrant Student?
According to sections 1115(c)(1)(A) (incorporated into the Migrant Education Program by sections 1304(c)(2), 1115(b), and 1309(3) of the ESEA and 34 CFR § 200.103(a)), one is a “migratory child” if the following conditions are met:
● The child is under 22 years of age; and
● The child is entitled to a free public education (through grade 12) under state law, or the child is not yet at a grade level at which the LEA provides a free public education, and
● The child made a qualifying move in the preceding 36 months as a migratory agricultural worker or a migratory fisher or did so with, or to join, a parent/guardian or spouse who is a migratory agricultural worker or a migratory fisher; and
● With regard to the qualifying move identified in paragraph 3 above, the child moved due to economic necessity from one residence to another residence, and—
● From one school district to another; or
● In a state that is comprised of a single school district, has moved from one administrative area to another within such district; or
● Resides in a school district of more than 15,000 square miles and migrates a distance of 20 miles or more to a temporary residence.
Ohio Department of Education – Migrant Education Program: The Migrant Education Program is designed to help migratory children overcome disruptions in education, cultural and language barriers, social isolation, health-related problems and other factors that inhibit their abilities to do well in school. It also prepares them to make successful transitions to higher education or employment.
Ohio Migrant Education Center: Our Mission is to assist the local education agencies to develop the supplemental instructional and supportive services necessary to deliver a quality “seamless” educational program to each identified migrant student in Ohio. Phone (419) 332-6007
Graduation & Outcomes for Success for OSY (GOSOSY): Teacher resources for serving migrant Out-of-School youth that are independant-based that will also work with 7th-12th grade EL students.
Pre-School Initiative (PI): Teacher resources for serving migrant children P3 through P5.
Ohio Depart. of Agriculture: Migrant and seasonal farmworker resources for health, safety and wellness. Several documents and posters, written in Spanish, address many facets of COVID protection and mitigation.